Sunday, February 6, 2011

Planning to save!




Well I have worked out my average shower times... 4 minutes and 7 minutes while washing my hair. This equates to using an average 48 liters and 84 liters of water at a time!! Say i wash my hair twice a week, this is equivalent to 408 liters a week and 21 216 liters a year... so I am aiming to get down to 2 minute and 4 minute showers. Just think by me reducing my shower times by around half, i can save 204 liters a week and 10 608 liters a year!! To put into perspective, an average family spa holds around 1000 liters of water so in a year, so i would reduce my water use from using 21 spas full of water to 10.5 full spas. Even by half that is a lot of water just to keep me clean, the amount would be unbelievable for the population of Australia at least!!

By changing traditional shower heads to a water saving one can save each person 7000 to 11000 liters of water a year based on an average shower time of 5-10 minutes. Some people shower up to 20 minutes, and my sister is no exception (at the moment!!) so
my shower times don't seem too bad. However they are still too long. Water saver shower heads can cost as little as $20 a head in Bunnings, what is even better i
s Perth residents as from February 2011 can swap their shower heads free from charge for a water saving shower head! Below are the new versus old shower heads...


A big water wasting culprit i have found is (being a girl) shaving my legs in the shower. While not everyone has a bath we can still save water by turning the water down to a dribble while we shave and back up when we need to wash soap off. Simple things like this can make a huge difference.

One flap of wings happening right here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment